In The News
The Downtown Fond du Lac Partnership in conjunction with Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation, Fond du Lac County Economic Development Corporation, the City of Fond du Lac and Fond du Lac County University of Wisconsin-Extension are embarking on a project to complete a market analysis for downtown Fond du Lac. This is an opportunity to provide your valuable input to help guide the future of downtown Fond du Lac. Two information gathering surveys have been created. Please follow this link to take the short 10-minute survey: http://downtownfdl.com/dfp/surveys_stats.html. The survey link will remain open until February 15, 2016. At the end of the survey, respondents can enter to win one of five $50 Visa gift cards courtesy of National Exchange Bank and Trust.
The first portion of the market analysis involves two public surveys. The Resident Survey is targeted to people who live within a walkable distance to downtown, while the Workforce Survey is targeted to people who live or work anywhere in Fond du Lac or the surrounding communities. Individuals who qualify to take the Resident Survey may submit answers to both the Resident Survey AND the Workforce Survey.
The primary goal of the project is to develop an objective and comprehensive analysis of the market potential in downtown Fond du Lac. The data will support a clear “wish list” of business development/recruitment efforts. There will be additional methods of gathering information as part of this project including: customer intercept surveys, peer community visits, business/property owner interviews and surrounding community perception interviews. The completed report will be supplemented with a short, infographic friendly, executive summary for business attraction efforts.
Other goals include:
- Understanding who currently lives downtown, and what groups would be interested in living downtown if suitable housing were available.
- Understanding who currently works downtown, industry/wage mix, commuting patterns, job growth projections.
- Understanding the primary and secondary trade area of downtown Fond du Lac retail and services businesses.
- To gain insight into the perception and awareness of various downtown Fond du Lac assets and amenities by individual constituent groups. Identify opportunities for marketing, education, programming and/or business expansion/recruitment.
- Understand retail and development gap opportunities in downtown Fond du Lac.
- Provide relevant and detailed market information on the downtown Fond du Lac market to existing and prospective businesses, developers and their financial institutions.
- Develop a work plan/strategy for addressing identified perceived or real gaps in locally available goods, services and space options.
The resident survey will expand on information recently collected during the downtown housing market analysis by capturing data on existing unit pricing patterns and downtown resident demographics and preferences. The data collected in the workforce survey will be used to determine preference and/or demand for additional downtown residential options and business types/services. It will also be used to understand strengths and challenges in strengthening worker connection to downtown. The survey will explore general demographic characteristics, current residential location, current downtown shopping/patronage and opportunities for future residential relocation or spending growth and potential incentives which would support these activities.
The Downtown Fond du Lac Partnership is the administrative arm of the Business Improvement District, which is comprised of 284 businesses, 76% of which are locally owned. The mission of the partnership is to establish a diverse, prosperous and healthy district that is the social, commercial and cultural heart of our community. For information call (920) 322-2006 or visit www.downtownfdl.com.